The building and architectural product industry sectors cover a wide range of metal construction components to support the global residential, commercial, and industrial facilities new construction, restoration, retrofitting, and remodeling markets. Manufacturers of these products are faced with a complex supply chain which impedes an efficient time-to-market product development and design cycle.
In its simplest form, this process includes research and development, patent applications, building product design services, raw materials acquisition, technology investments, manufacturing adjustments, production workflows, industry certifications, and final marketing and distribution logistics.
To remain competitive in the highly specialized architectural and building products arena, manufacturers can successfully reduce the product time-to-market cycle with the help of outsourced product engineering and design services. Pursuing an aggressive product development and design strategy is critical for any building product manufacturer that seeks:
- To position the company as an industry innovator and thought leader
- To claim industry leadership as a superior performing product
- To differentiate the brand with unique and creative applications
- To excel at price/performance value for an increased market share
- To provide for a niche market which is underserved and undersupplied
Our company specializes in speeding up the product design and development cycle for AIA MasterSpec Division 5 – metal construction products, and for the end-user architectural product market sector. Explore the following building product markets which illustrate how we can help quickly move your next product idea from sketch to design to prototype to production; or provide accurate documentation for structural steel fabricators, third-party manufacturers, or sheet metal shop contractors.
- 3D Modeling of Metal Building Systems – an increased use of prefabricated metal building components for exterior facades, interior walls, and metal roofing systems has opened a highly competitive market sector, with each prefab metal panel or roofing system manufacturer offering durable, cost-effective building solutions with premium aesthetics, superior insulation, fire retardant properties, and moisture vapor barrier solutions.
Decrease your prefab metal component design time-to-market by partnering with an engineering services firm that will utilize state-of-the-art 3D industrial product modeling technology to combine the art of materials rendering and visualization with the science of material properties, thermal modeling, and engineering analysis. The 3D modeling and design process can effectively combine the following development and design issues under one point of contact to quickly communicate multiple ideas and approaches:
- material thermal model simulations
- product design flexibility
- manufacturing process options
- product end-use simulation scenarios
- product failure and stress analysis
- product marketing aesthetics studies
- Shop Drawings for Sheet Metal Products are required for many architectural product manufacturers to progress design ideas from sketch to fabrication and assembly. Whether the end product is customized cabinetry, HVAC ductwork, metal roofing products, or metal lighting products, to successfully establish leadership as a superior performing product, accurate and detailed shop drawings are needed to translate the engineer’s intentions and pinpoint each metal machining and assembly process required for a finished product.
Avoid prototype failures which delay the product development cycle with an engineering services firm that maintains a staff of skilled CAD technicians and mechanical designers who understand the unique requirements to transform sheet metal into a final manufactured product, such as:
- proper shear forces for cutting and stamping
- suitable tools, processes, and metal allowances for bending and forming
- detailed assembly and joining processes (brazing, riveting, adhesives)
- final surface finish requirements, silk screening, or surface treatments
- Metal Architectural Accents for Interior and Exteriors have provided successful business ventures for many companies that already have established metal machining, casting and CNC in-house operations. The focus for successfully increasing the company’s market share against larger manufacturers may include minimizing engineering design overhead for new product lines which offer an exceptional price and performance value for customers.
Manufacturers of architectural hardware components such as entry sets, knobs, hinges, stops and shower screens, ornamental and decorative moldings, stairways, etc. can successfully increase product performance and reduce engineering and manufacturing costs by outsourcing the product design and development process completely, leaving it to focus on the successful manufacturing and distribution efforts. To support engineering and design efforts consider our expertise in the following:
As part of your product development team, we can accelerate new product launches and provide value-added engineering to improve existing product lines. For efficient and cost-effective product manufacturing, use our expert CAD services to develop the proper drawings that can quickly translate intricate patterns for moldings, corbels, and decorative wrought iron fixtures into CNC routing and machining languages.
- Customized Metal Furniture Design has proliferated in recent years to reduce the demand on global forests and provide interior decorating options that support modern, clean line designs and durable options for commercial spaces. Brand differentiation demands yearly product line enhancements with fresh, inspirational design offerings and creative multi-use and multi-functional furnishings.
Creativity, quality, and originality are the driving forces in a successful metal furniture design product, yet the successful use of CAD technology can significantly decrease the design curve and support creative flexibility. Consult with our virtual staging experts that use photorealistic rendering techniques to emulate a wide array of metals from aluminum, chrome, steel, and iron; or any other decorating finish or fabric that may be required.
While your company focuses on creative innovations, our firm can successfully deliver the engineering and design documents required to make your creation a reality:
- CAD drafting and detailing services
- interior design modeling and rendering
- virtual staging for client presentations
- retail space planning services
- Architectural Metal Products also provide for niche markets such as doors, windows, stairs, railings and other accessories using a wide variety of metal options from brass, stainless steel, copper, iron, and wood. The engineering specifications and documentation for manufacturing require specialized detailing according to the product’s material and manufacturing processes. Our technicians are industry trained and educated to apply shop specific dimensions, notes, and assembly techniques to streamline the manufacturing process and eliminate costly mistakes.
Why Metal is the Preferred Choice for Building Products
The vast majority of architectural and construction industry products use metal as the preferred material of choice for framing, architectural accents, furniture, and as a building envelope system for many reasons:
- Cast Iron Alloys that are heat-treated are malleable, ductile and can be drawn into many creative profiles that provide an aesthetic character reminiscent of the pre-industrial revolution. Product design qualities include a high resistance to impact and a life cycle durability of over 100 years. Cast iron maintains its strength, rigidity, and appearance through inclement weather and adds an enhanced perception of quality to any project. Products constructed of cast iron are 100% recyclable and can be painted any color.
- Aluminum and aluminum alloys have grown as a construction and product design material because it does not rust, resists corrosion, watermarking, and salt air or chemical attack; and it’s exceptional and highly reflective finish requires no painting. Aluminum alloys exist that are stronger than steel, while aluminum is more flexible and much lighter than steel.
- Stainless steel and carbon steel alloys are still the premier choice for builders and manufacturers for many reasons. Steel is affordable, durable, and is much lighter than wood while maintaining exceptional strength qualities. Steel is completely recyclable and reusable and is easily machined or processed by third party shops.
Reducing the time-to-market for your metal construction and architectural product design using design services and CAD technology will result in four major benefits:
- Reduce wasted time and materials through virtual simulation and prototyping.
- Positively impact the product development time cycle with 3D modeling and visualization.
- Improve operational efficiency with timely submittals of computer files throughout the supply chain.
- Increase corporate revenue with faster product penetration into the market.